Sunday 20 July 2014

Nchanga Copper Mine 1970

While sorting out some old 8mm home movies, I came across a short clip of the Nchanga mine and concentrator, taken in 1970.

Although nowhere need HD quality, it may be of interest to anyone who worked on the mine during that era, and I have now transferred this to YouTube. It shows ore being transported from the huge Nchanga open pit (now no longer in operation) to the massive primary gyratory crusher (still in operation), and then rod and ball mill grinding at the East Mill.  At the West Mill, ore is seen arriving from underground, and the old flotation banks, dewatering and concentrate shipment can also be seen.

Things have moved on a lot in the intervening decades, as I saw during my return to Nchanga two years ago.

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed reading such an interesting article about mining and the amazing things to discover.

    ReplyDelete

If you have difficulty posting a comment, please email the comment to bwills@min-eng.com and I will submit on your behalf